Classic Homemade Sloppy Joes Recipe
My mother-in-law created this recipe in the early 1950s. Our family likes these classic sloppy joes best served with pickles and potato chips.—Sharon McKee, Denton, Texas
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon celery salt or celery seed
- 1 teaspoon onion salt or onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1-1/2 bay leaves
- 8 hamburger buns, split
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook beef and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook over low heat for 30 minutes.
- 2. Uncover; cook 30-40 minutes longer or until thickened. Discard bay leaves. Serve 1/2 cup of meat mixture on each bun. Yield: 8 servings.
1 sloppy joe equals 248 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 28 mg cholesterol, 884 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 16 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC