My mother-in-law created this recipe in the early 1950s. Our family likes these classic sloppy joes best served with pickles and potato chips.—Sharon McKee, Denton, Texas
Recommended: 28 Delicious Recipes for Two
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon celery salt or celery seed
- 1 teaspoon onion salt or onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1-1/2 bay leaves
- 8 hamburger buns, split
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook over low heat for 30 minutes.
- Uncover; cook 30-40 minutes longer or until thickened. Discard bay leaves. Serve 1/2 cup of meat mixture on each bun. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Zesty Sloppy Joes in 1-2-3 Meal Planner 2009, p32
Reviews forClassic Homemade Sloppy Joes
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Apr. 13, 2017
"Very good! I did add about 1 teaspoon of yellow mustard for more of a tangy Taste, but overall a very good basic recipe!"