Chunky Peach Spread Recipe
Here's a fruit spread that captures the best tastes of late summer. I like that it's low in sugar and not overly sweet, which lets the fresh peach flavor shine right through. — Rebecca Baird, Salt Lake City, Utah
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Cook: 10 min. + cooling YIELD:28 servings
- 7 medium peaches (2 to 2-1/2 pounds)
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1. Fill a large saucepan two-thirds full with water; bring to a boil. Cut a shallow “X” on the bottom of each peach. Using tongs, place peaches, a few at a time, in boiling water 30-60 seconds or just until skin at the “X” begins to loosen. Remove peaches and immediately drop into ice water. Pull off skins with tip of a knife; discard skins. Chop peaches.
- 2. In a small bowl, sprinkle gelatin over cold water; let stand 1 minute. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine peaches, sugar and lemon juice; bring to a boil. Mash peaches. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes. Add gelatin mixture; cook 1 minute longer, stirring until gelatin is completely dissolved. Cool 10 minutes.
- 3. Pour into jars. Refrigerate, covered, up to 3 weeks. Yield: about 3-1/2 cups.
2 tablespoons equals 21 calories, trace fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1 mg sodium, 5 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, trace protein. Diabetic Exchange: Free food.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC