Chunky Peach Spread
Here's a fruit spread that captures the best tastes of late summer. I like that it's low in sugar and not overly sweet, which lets the fresh peach flavor shine right through. — Rebecca Baird, Salt Lake City, Utah
28 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 10 min. + cooling
- 7 medium peaches (2 to 2-1/2 pounds)
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Fill a large saucepan two-thirds full with water; bring to a boil.
- Cut a shallow “X” on the bottom of each peach. Using tongs, place
- peaches, a few at a time, in boiling water 30-60 seconds or just
- until skin at the “X” begins to loosen. Remove peaches and
- immediately drop into ice water. Pull off skins with tip of a knife;
- discard skins. Chop peaches.
- In a small bowl, sprinkle gelatin over cold water; let stand 1
- minute. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine peaches, sugar and
- lemon juice; bring to a boil. Mash peaches. Reduce heat; simmer,
- uncovered, 5 minutes. Add gelatin mixture; cook 1 minute longer,
- stirring until gelatin is completely dissolved. Cool 10 minutes.
- Pour into jars. Refrigerate, covered, up to 3 weeks. Yield: about
- 3-1/2 cups.
Nutritional Facts: 2 tablespoons equals 21 calories, trace fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1 mg sodium, 5 g carbohydrate, trace fiber,