Chocolate Pound Cake Recipe
You'll find this cake is good with ice cream, but that it's also delicate enough to serve small pieces for a tea. My husband served in the military, and we spent 22 years moving around before "retiring" here. He's been a high school teacher, and I've been a wedding consultant. Now we're retiring again so we can have more time to spend with our two daughters and four granddaughters in the Midwest. "Grandpa" is looking forward to some good fishing!
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 1-1/2 hours + cooling YIELD:12 servings
- 8 milk chocolate bars without nuts (1.55 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups sifted cake flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, optional
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- 1. In a saucepan, melt chocolate with water over low heat. Mixture will begin to harden.
- 2. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla and chocolate mixture. Combine the flour, salt and soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Fold in nuts if desired.
- 3. Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. tube pan or fluted tube pan. Bake at 325° for 1-1/2 hours or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar if desired. Yield: 12 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 353 calories, 11 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 93 mg cholesterol, 248 mg sodium, 59 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC