Chocolate-Dipped Hazelnut Macaroons
These pretty cookies are perfect for the special holiday season and not that difficult to make!—Deirdre Cox, Kansas City, Missouri
24 ServingsPrep: 35 min. Bake: 15 min./batch + cooling
- 2/3 cup whole hazelnuts, toasted and skins removed
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1 package (7 ounces) almond paste, crumbled
- 2 egg whites
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted
- Preheat oven to 325°. Place hazelnuts and 1/4 cup sugar in a food
- processor; process until nuts are finely ground. Add almond paste,
- egg whites and remaining sugar; process until blended, about 3
- Cut a small hole in the tip of a pastry bag or in a corner of a
- food-safe plastic bag; insert a large star pastry tip. Fill bag with
- hazelnut mixture. Pipe 1-1/4-in. rosettes 2 in. apart onto parchment
- paper-lined baking sheets.
- Bake 12-14 minutes or until light brown. Cool on pans 1 minute.
- Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- Dip bottom of each cookie in melted chocolate; allow excess to drip
- off. Place on waxed paper-lined baking sheets; refrigerate 1 hour or
- until set. Yield: 2 dozen.