Chocolate Chiffon Cake Recipe
Erma Fox of Memphis, Missouri suggests baking this beautifully high, rich sponge cake for a special dessert.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. + cooling Bake: 1 hour + cooling YIELD:16-20 servings
- 7 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 1-3/4 cups cake flour
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/3 cup butter
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 to 4 tablespoons hot water
- Chopped nuts, optional
- 1. Let eggs stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. In a bowl, combine cocoa and water until smooth; cool for 20 minutes. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda and salt. In a bowl, whisk the egg yolks, oil and vanilla; add to dry ingredients along with the cocoa mixture. Beat until well blended. In another large bowl and with clean beaters, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on high speed until stiff peaks form. Gradually fold into egg yolk mixture.
- 2. Gently spoon batter into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through the batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on lowest rack at 325° for 60-65 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert pan; cool completely. Run a knife around sides and center tube of pan. Invert cake onto a serving plate.
- 3. For icing, melt butter in a saucepan. Remove from the heat; stir in the confectioners' sugar, chocolate, vanilla and water. Drizzle over cake. Sprinkle with nuts if desired. Yield: 16-20 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 274 calories, 11 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 83 mg cholesterol, 266 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC