Chocolate Chiffon Cake Recipe
- 7 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 1-3/4 cups cake flour
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/3 cup butter
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 to 4 tablespoons hot water
- Chopped nuts, optional
- 1. Let eggs stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. In a bowl, combine cocoa and water until smooth; cool for 20 minutes. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda and salt. In a bowl, whisk the egg yolks, oil and vanilla; add to dry ingredients along with the cocoa mixture. Beat until well blended. In another large bowl and with clean beaters, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on high speed until stiff peaks form. Gradually fold into egg yolk mixture.
- 2. Gently spoon batter into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through the batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on lowest rack at 325° for 60-65 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert pan; cool completely. Run a knife around sides and center tube of pan. Invert cake onto a serving plate.
- 3. For icing, melt butter in a saucepan. Remove from the heat; stir in the confectioners' sugar, chocolate, vanilla and water. Drizzle over cake. Sprinkle with nuts if desired. Yield: 16-20 servings.
1 piece equals 268 calories, 11 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 73 mg cholesterol, 262 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
Reviews for Chocolate Chiffon Cake
"I have made this cake many times since it was in the Taste of Home issue. Absolutely delicious and always gets wonderful compliments."
"Easy to make and delicious."
"i have searched for a good choc chiffon cake and every time I made one I couldn't get it dark enough, but this is what I wll make, as I wanted to make 2 chiffon cakes today,, thank you. from reading the ingredients, it sounds delicious. Thank you."
"It was a great tasting moist cake. It did seep out the bottom of my two piece, tube pan slightly in the oven. I would use a bundt pan the next time. I was surprised how sponge like it really was and the icing was yummy!"
"The best chiffon cake I ever made. A must. I made a birthday cake using a round, no hole, pan.It was all eaten in no time!"
"This is a light, moist and delicious chocolate cake. I used only 1 cup sugar and served icing at the side for those who prefer sweeter taste. My family and guests enjoyed it very much. It?s a keeper."
"I've made this cake many times, always to rave reviews. I generally forgo the nuts on top, instead sprinkling some edible gold glitter on top - just so everyone can tell with a look how special this cake is."
"This is a beautiful cake, lots of body and tender. I split it and fill with chocolate mousse and cover in chocolate ganache for a special event."
"I made it exactly as directed except I topped it with m&m's instead of nuts. It made a beautiful moist & fluffy cake for my husband's birthday. It was delicious & my husband had a very happy birthday."