- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 1-3/4 cups cake flour
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 7 eggs, separated
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 squares (1 ounce each) unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 to 4 tablespoons hot water
- Chopped nuts, optional
- In a bowl, combine cocoa and water until smooth; cool for 20 minutes. In a mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda and salt. Add oil, egg yolks, vanilla and cocoa mixture; beat until smooth. In another mixing bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff peaks form; gradually fold into egg yolk mixture. Pour into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Bake on lowest rack at 325° for 60-65 minutes or until cake springs back when touched. Invert pan to cool; remove cake from pan.
- For icing, melt butter in medium saucepan. Remove from heat; stir in sugar, chocolate and vanilla. Stir in enough water until desired consistency; drizzle over cake. Sprinkle with nuts. Yield: 16-20 servings.
Reviews forChocolate Chiffon Cake
"Hi cakes recipe looks tempting by I query anything replacing canola oil which cn find easy in localThanx maahi"
"I have made this cake many times since it was in the Taste of Home issue. Absolutely delicious and always gets wonderful compliments."
"easy to make and delicious."
"i have searched for a good choc chiffon cake and every time I made one I couldn't get it dark enough, but this is what I wll make, as I wanted to make 2 chiffon cakes today,, thank you. from reading the ingredients, it sounds delicious. Thank you."
"It was a great tasting moist cake. It did seep out the bottom of my two piece, tube pan slightly in the oven. I would use a bundt pan the next time. I was surprised how sponge like it really was and the icing was yummy!"