Chicken Parmesan with Mushrooms Recipe
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2/3 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 envelope reduced-sodium onion soup mix
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (5 ounces each)
- 1-1/2 cups spaghetti sauce
- 1 can (7 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1. In a shallow bowl, beat egg and water. In another shallow bowl, combine the bread crumbs, soup mix and pepper. Dip chicken in egg mixture, then coat with crumb mixture.
- 2. Place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 22-25 minutes or until juices run clear.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine spaghetti sauce and mushrooms; spoon over chicken. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake 5-7 minutes longer or until sauce is bubbly and cheese is melted. Yield: 6 servings.
1 chicken breast half equals 304 calories, 9 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 103 mg cholesterol, 792 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 37 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 1 starch.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.