Chicken Merlot with Mushrooms Recipe
- 3/4 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup merlot or additional chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Hot cooked pasta, optional
- 1. Place the mushrooms, onion and garlic in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Top with chicken.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine the tomato paste, broth, wine, tapioca, sugar, basil, salt and pepper. Pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until chicken is tender.
Sprinkle with cheese. Serve with pasta if desired.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled chicken mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary. Yield: 5 servings.
7-1/2 ounces cooked chicken with 1 cup sauce (calculated without pasta) equals 501 calories, 21 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 184 mg cholesterol, 595 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 55 g protein.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.