Chicken Macaroni Casserole Recipe
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1-1/2 to 2 cups chicken broth, divided
- 3/4 pound process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 2 packages (7 ounces each) uncooked elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Snipped fresh parsley, optional
- 1. In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add cream and 1-1/2 cups of the broth. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; add cheese; stir until melted. Add the macaroni, chicken, pimientos, salt and pepper. Add additional broth if needed.
- 2. Pour into a 3-qt. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with parsley if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 cup: 452 calories, 24g fat (14g saturated fat), 112mg cholesterol, 1081mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 30g protein.
Reviews for Chicken Macaroni Casserole
"I used shredded cheddar cheese and omitted the pimentos, since we don't care for them. I used bread crumbs on the top before I put it the oven. Turned out great. Everyone liked it. Nice and creamy!"
"good for weeknights, not good enough for company"
"I exchanged one cup of the milk for a can of cream of chicken, I kept everything else the same. Our whole family loved it!!!"
"Way to much sodium and fat! Use low sodium broth, either low fat half/half or low fat non-dairy creamer, low fat cheese, no salt, add some onion/grn pepper, poultry seasoning,sage, rosemary, or other spices would help with the flavor."
"I substituted one can of cream of mushroom soup for 1 cup of the milk and used 2 tsp. of Morton's Nature's blend in place of all the seasoning. Was very good."