Chicken Bulgur Skillet Recipe
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2/3 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1-1/2 cups bulgur
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet, cook chicken in oil over medium-high heat until meat is no longer pink. Remove and keep warm. In the same skillet, cook and stir the carrots, onion, nuts, caraway seeds and cumin for 3-4 minutes or until onion starts to brown.
- 2. Stir in bulgur. Gradually add broth; bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; add the raisins, salt, cinnamon and chicken. Cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until bulgur is tender. Yield: 4 servings.
1-1/2 cups equals 412 calories, 8 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 66 mg cholesterol, 561 mg sodium, 51 g carbohydrate, 12 g fiber, 36 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2-1/2 starch, 2 vegetable.
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer