Chicago-Style Stuffed Pizza Recipe
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2-1/2 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 small green pepper, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup chopped pepperoni
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add sugar; let stand for 5 minutes. Add oil and salt. Add 1-1/2 cups flour and cornmeal; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 4-5 minutes. Place in a greased bowl; turn once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down; let rest for 5 minutes. Divide into two portions, one slightly larger than the other. On a lightly floured surface, roll out larger portion to a 12-in. circle. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of a greased 10-in. ovenproof skillet.
- 4. Preheat oven to 375°. In a large skillet, cook sausage, green pepper and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in mozzarella cheese, pepperoni, Parmesan cheese and oregano. Add to prepared crust.
- 5. On a lightly floured surface, roll remaining dough into an 11-in. circle. Place over pizza; seal edges. Cut four slits in top. Bake 30-35 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Spread with tomato sauce. Yield: 8 slices.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 379 calories, 16 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 35 mg cholesterol, 906 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 17 g protein.
Reviews for Chicago-Style Stuffed Pizza
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.