- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2-1/2 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 small green pepper, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup chopped pepperoni
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add sugar; let stand for 5 minutes. Add oil and salt. Add 1-1/2 cups flour and cornmeal; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 4-5 minutes. Place in a greased bowl; turn once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; let rest for 5 minutes. Divide into two portions, one slightly larger than the other. On a lightly floured surface, roll out larger portion to a 12-in. circle. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of a greased 10-in. ovenproof skillet.
- In a large skillet, cook sausage, green pepper, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the mozzarella, pepperoni, Parmesan and oregano. Spread over crust.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll remaining dough into an 11-in. circle. Place over pizza; seal edges. Cut four slits in top. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Spread with tomato sauce. Yield: 8 slices.
Reviews forChicago-Style Stuffed Pizza
"I made 2 thin crustt pizza'a and another deep dish and it came out almost as good as the chicago pizza I grew up with. Way better than anything else we have here in Texas."