Cherry Swirl Coffee Cake Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the sugar, butter, shortening, extracts, baking powder and eggs. Beat on low speed until blended; beat on high for 3 minutes. Stir in flour.
- 2. Spread two-thirds of the batter into a greased 15-1/2-in. x 10-1/2-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Spread pie filling over batter; drop remaining batter by tablespoonful over filling. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until golden. Combine the confectioners' sugar and milk; drizzle over coffee cake. Serve warm. Yield: 18-20 servings.
1 piece: 285 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 55mg cholesterol, 75mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (28g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein
Reviews for Cherry Swirl Coffee Cake
"Everyone loves this! I've made it several times, using cherries, apple or blueberry pie filling. With the apple, I added apple pie spice instead of almond extract! All three ways, delicious!"
"Very tasty! I halved the recipe but still used a whole can of cherry pie filling."
"This is a lovely cake to serve for breakfast or brunch. The next time I make it I will double the pie filling because I love cherries."
"Just like Mom used to make! I made a couple of changes to the recipe. First, I used a 13x9x2 and didn't use all the batter (to adjust for pan size). Secondly I used a can of pie filling that contained "extra" cherries. This was a delicious coffee cake and I am adding it to my family's favorites :)"
"I thought it was a bit dry. Maybe I baked it too long, when I looked at it at 40 min. it was still pretty pale. I think I would like it with 2 cans of pie filling."
"Been making this since it came out in TOH magazine years ago. Easy to make and is very good 5 stars"