- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- In a mixing bowl, blend the first seven ingredients on low speed. Increase to high speed and whip for 3 minutes. Stir in flour. Spread 2/3 of the batter over the bottom of a greased 15-1/2-in. x 10-1/2-in. x 1-in. jelly roll pan. Spread pie filling over batter; drop remaining batter by tablespoonsful over all. Bake at 350° for 40 minutes or until golden. Meanwhile, combine glaze ingredients. Drizzle over cake while warm. Cake is best if served immediately. Yield: 18-20 servings.
Reviews forCherry Swirl Coffee Cake
"Very tasty! I halved the recipe but still used a whole can of cherry pie filling."
"Just like Mom used to make! I made a couple of changes to the recipe. First, I used a 13x9x2 and didn't use all the batter (to adjust for pan size). Secondly I used a can of pie filling that contained "extra" cherries. This was a delicious coffee cake and I am adding it to my family's favorites :)"
"I thought it was a bit dry. Maybe I baked it too long, when I looked at it at 40 min. it was still pretty pale. I think I would like it with 2 cans of pie filling."
"Been making this since it came out in TOH magazine years ago. easy to make and is very good 5 stars"