Cherry Rhubarb Coffee Cake Recipe
I'm retired now, but when I was working I made this coffee cake for co-workers and also a men's Bible study class. I changed the original recipe from a strawberry/rhubarb combination to one with cherry, which I think gives it a richer flavor.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 40 min. YIELD:16-20 servings
- 4 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1 can (20 ounces) cherry pie filling
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- CRUMB TOPPING:
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1. In a large saucepan, cook rhubarb and lemon juice over medium-low heat for 5 minutes, stirring often to prevent burning. Combine sugar and cornstarch; add to rhubarb mixture. Cook and stir 5 minutes more until thickened and bubbly. Stir in pie filling; set aside to cool.
- 2. For cake, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Cut in butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs. In a small bowl, beat the buttermilk, eggs and vanilla. Add to flour mixture; stir just until moistened.
- 3. Spread a little more than half of the batter into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan Spread cooled filling over batter. Drop remaining batter by teaspoonfuls onto filling.
- 4. For topping, combine sugar and flour. Cut in butter until mixture forms coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Yield: 16-20 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 406 calories, 15 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 59 mg cholesterol, 307 mg sodium, 66 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC