- 4 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1 can (20 ounces) cherry pie filling
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter or margarine
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- CRUMB TOPPING:
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- In a saucepan, cook rhubarb and lemon juice over medium-low heat for 5 minutes, stirring often to prevent burning. Combine sugar and cornstarch; add to rhubarb mixture. Cook and stir 5 minutes more until thickened and bubbly. stir in pie filling; set aside to cool. For cake, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Cut in butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs. in a mixing bowl, beat buttermilk, eggs and vanilla. Add to flour mixture; stir just until moistened. Spread a little more than half of the batter into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan Spread cooled filling over batter. Drop remaining batter by teaspoonfuls onto filling. For topping, combine sugar and flour. Cut in butter until mixture forms coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes. Yield: 16-20 servings.
Reviews forCherry Rhubarb Coffee Cake
"This is so good, change it up by using a different flavor pie filling."
"Made this for Memorial Day grill out with family. All loved it."
"Great recipe. Crunchy topping, gooey delicious cherry/rhubarb filling. It seemed more like a cobbler than a coffee cake. (Not that that's a bad thing!?) When I make it next time, I'm going to cut the filling in half; there was plenty...enough to run over the pan when baking. Cutting the filling in half would not ruin this recipe; it would still be great from cake to filling to topping. Try it!"
"Made many times - always rave reviews. Last time I ran out of flour so I used bread flour and it was even better!"
"I LOVE this recipe.It's huge so I divided the sauce between a 9" springform pan & 9x13 pan. My family & neighbors love it as well"