Cherry Berry Pie Recipe
Cherries and raspberries are plentiful here in Upper Peninsula. This recipe has been in my family many years. I won first place with it in a contest.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 45 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 1 can (16 ounces) pitted tart red cherries
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen red raspberries, thawed
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon red food coloring
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1. Drain cherries and raspberries; reserve 1-1/4 cups juice and set fruit aside. In a saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch; gradually stir in juice. Cook and stir over medium heat until the mixture begins to boil. Cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat; stir in butter, extract and food coloring. Gently fold in fruit. Cool slightly. Pour filling into pie crust and top with a lattice crust. Bake at 375° for 45 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 421 calories, 18 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 21 mg cholesterol, 248 mg sodium, 62 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC