Cheesy Onion Casserole Recipe
Southerners are in love with sweet onions, and the sweetest variety is grown near us - in Vidalia, Georgia. Since Vidalias have become so popular, everyone - including me! - seems to be developing new onion recipes.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 3 large sweet white onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese, divided
- Pepper to taste
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 8 slices French bread, buttered on both sides
- 1. In a skillet, saute onions in butter until transparent and slightly browned. Layer onions, two-thirds of the cheese and the pepper in a 2-qt. baking dish.
- 2. In a small saucepan, combine the soup, milk and soy sauce until blended; heat through. Pour over casserole and stir gently. Top with bread slices.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15 minutes. Press bread slices down under sauce; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 15 minutes longer. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 370 calories, 15 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 38 mg cholesterol, 828 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 16 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC