Cassoulet for Today Recipe
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced, divided
- 1/2 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary or 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 pound smoked turkey kielbasa, chopped
- 3 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cup soft whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. In an ovenproof Dutch oven, brown chicken in 2 teaspoons oil in batches. Remove and keep warm.
- 2. In the same pan, saute onion in remaining oil until crisp-tender. Add 1 garlic clove; cook 1 minute longer. Add wine, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Stir in the tomatoes, bay leaf, rosemary, thyme and chicken; bring to a boil.
- 3. Cover and bake at 325° for 30 minutes. Add beans and kielbasa; cover and bake 20-25 minutes longer or until chicken is tender. Discard bay leaf. Stir in bacon.
Combine the bread crumbs, parsley and remaining garlic; sprinkle over cassoulet. Broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 2-3 minutes or until bread crumbs are golden brown.
Freeze option: Transfer baked chicken mixture to a baking dish, reserving bread crumb topping for baking. Cool; cover and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Reheat cassoulet, covered, until heated through and a thermometer inserted in chicken reads 165°. Prepare bread crumbs as directed; sprinkle over top. Bake, uncovered, until bread crumbs are golden brown. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving equals 386 calories, 13 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 91 mg cholesterol, 694 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 32 g protein.
Reviews for Cassoulet for Today
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.