- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary or 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 pound smoked turkey kielbasa, chopped
- 3 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cup soft whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Preheat oven to 325°. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. In a broiler-safe Dutch oven, heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium heat; brown chicken on both sides. Remove from pan.
- In same pan, saute onion in remaining oil over medium heat until crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute. Add wine; bring to a boil, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Add tomatoes, herbs and chicken; return to a boil.
- Transfer to oven; bake, covered, 30 minutes. Stir in beans and kielbasa; bake, covered, until chicken is tender, 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from oven; preheat broiler. Discard bay leaf; stir in bacon. Toss bread crumbs with parsley and garlic; sprinkle over top. Place in oven so surface of cassoulet is 4-5 in. from heat; broil until crumbs are golden brown, 2-3 minutes. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forCassoulet for Today
"Great recipe! I make this often and we enjoy it. Tastes even better the next day. As a Volunteer Field Editor, I recommend this dish! Your family will enjoy it!"
"I made this for my family today, and it certainly is a keeper. I am diabetic , so this is a great recipes for me, minus the bread crumbs ( instead I just grated some Parmesan cheese on top). The flavors blend to make you think it was more work than it really was. The chicken was so tender and the herbs and wine give it the final touch. I am a Volunteer Food Editor, also, and I give this a 5 ."
"We had Taste of Home's “Cassoulet for Today” recipe last night. It was delicious! DH prepared the recipe through step 3, cooled it, and refrigerated it the day before. Last night he reheated it and completed step four.It's a very satisfying dish...creamy cannellini beans, fork-tender chicken thighs, smoky kielbasa and bacon mixed with tomatoes, onion, garlic and fresh herbs topped with a crunchy garlic infused bread crumbs. Will add this recipe to my keeper file! This volunteer field editor is glad to give this dish a 5 star rating!"
"Very good, my family loved this dish. I used regular kielbasa since I couldn't find turkey at either of my stores. I will make this again!"
"This is a wonderful comfort meal! I especially love using chicken thighs, such good flavor and so moist! This is a great version of a cassoulet !"
"I prepared this delicious dish tonight and we fell in love with it. Hubby went back for seconds. I made no changes to the recipe. Although there are several steps to the recipe it was easy to prepare I highly recommend this recipe as a Volunteer Field Editor."