Carrot Brown Rice Pilaf
This versatile, colorful dish complements a variety of meats or other vegetarian entrees. To give this dish a crunchy texture and additional flavor and protein, stir in 2 cups of bean sprouts just before serving. —Paulette Cross, Lowville, New York
4 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 2-1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and carrots in butter until tender.
- Add rice; cook and stir for 3-4 minutes or until rice is lightly
- Stir in the stock, parsley, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce
- heat; cover and simmer for 40-45 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Fluff with a fork.
- Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 3/4 cup equals 231 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 551 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 4 g protein.