"These slightly sweet carrots with a hint of cardamom go over big whenever I serve them. They're particularly nice at holidays," says field editor Joan Hallford of North Richland Hills, Texas.
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 2 pounds carrots, cut into 2-inch julienned strips
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- In a large saucepan, bring 1 in. of water, carrots and salt to a
- boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 7-9 minutes or until
- crisp-tender; drain.
- In a large skillet, combine the butter, brown sugar, cardamom and
- orange peel. Cook and stir over medium heat for 1-2 minutes or until
- sauce is thickened. Add carrots; toss to coat. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 126 calories, 6 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 395 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 1 g protein.