Cajun Shrimp Soup Recipe
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cans (14-3/4 ounces each) cream-style corn
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- 3 cups cooked small shrimp
- 1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1. Heat oil in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Carefully add flour; cook and stir until golden brown, about 6-8 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Add the celery, onion, green pepper and green onions; cook and stir for 5 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the corn, tomatoes, bay leaf, white pepper, cayenne and pepper sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-40 minutes.
- 2. Stir in shrimp and parsley; heat through. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 8-10 servings (2-3/4 quarts).
1 cup: 131 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 138mg cholesterol, 1026mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 14g protein.
Reviews for Cajun Shrimp Soup
"I agree that it's easy to make, but am wondering if anyone else found it way too sweet. If I try it again, I'll use fresh or frozen corn instead of the cream-style corn, and make a skim milk liquid base."
"Super easy to make and very good!"