Cajun Shrimp Soup Recipe
My mom used to cut the corn off the cob to make this soup, but I use canned cream-style corn. This is a very good dish to come home to on a chilly day.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cans (14-3/4 ounces each) cream-style corn
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- 3 cups cooked small shrimp
- 1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1. Heat oil in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Carefully add flour; cook and stir until golden brown, about 6-8 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Add the celery, onion, green pepper and green onions; cook and stir for 5 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the corn, tomatoes, bay leaf, white pepper, cayenne and pepper sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-40 minutes.
- 2. Stir in shrimp and parsley; heat through. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 8-10 servings (2-3/4 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 131 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 138 mg cholesterol, 1,026 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 14 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC