- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cans (14-3/4 ounces each) cream-style corn
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- 3 cups cooked small shrimp
- 1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
- Heat oil in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Carefully add flour; cook and stir until golden brown, about 6-8 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Add celery, onion, green pepper, green onions and garlic; cook and stir for 5 minutes. Add corn, tomatoes, bay leaf, peppers and hot pepper sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-40 minutes. Stir in shrimp and parsley; heat through. Remove bay leaf before serving. Yield: 8-10 servings (2-3/4 quarts).
Reviews forCajun Shrimp Soup
"I agree that it's easy to make, but am wondering if anyone else found it way too sweet. If I try it again, I'll use fresh or frozen corn instead of the cream-style corn, and make a skim milk liquid base."
"Super easy to make and very good!"