Cabernet Marinara Pasta Recipe
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 cup Cabernet Sauvignon or other dry red wine
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 3 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 fresh basil sprig
- 1 fresh thyme sprig
- 2 cups uncooked penne pasta
- Parmesan and Romano cheeses
- 1. In a large saucepan, cook onion in oil over medium heat until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in wine and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook for 6-8 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half.
- 2. Add the crushed tomatoes, plum tomatoes, sugar, basil and thyme; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions.
- 3. Discard basil and thyme. Drain pasta; toss with sauce. Top with cheeses. Yield: 4 servings.
1-1/2 cups (calculated without cheeses) equals 302 calories, 8 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 269 mg sodium, 50 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 9 g protein.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.