- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 cup Cabernet Sauvignon or other dry red wine
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 3 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 fresh basil sprig
- 1 fresh thyme sprig
- 2 cups uncooked penne pasta
- Parmesan and Romano cheeses
- In a large saucepan, cook onion in oil over medium heat until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in wine and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook for 6-8 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, plum tomatoes, sugar, basil and thyme; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions.
- Discard basil and thyme. Drain pasta; toss with sauce. Top with cheeses. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forCabernet Marinara Pasta
"It is a wee bit sweet but still very very good. You might want to spice it up on your own a little bit before eating. :) As for my husband and I, we loved it.There is a great Barilla pasta coupon here:http://printablecouponsanddeals.com/2013/10/50-off-any-one-barilla-plus-pasta-50-at-kroger-through-10-26-if-included.html"
"This was too sweet and didn't have nearly enough herbs. Not that great, unfortunately."
"This sauce is awesome! I actually used it for lasagna, but it would be great just with pasta as well. I used about a tsp. of Italian seasoning instead of the thyme/basil sprigs. This will be my go-to marinara sauce recipe!"