Butterscotch Pie Recipe
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs yolks, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1. In a saucepan, melt the butter. Remove from the heat; add flour and stir until smooth. Stir in brown sugar. Return to heat; stir in milk and salt until blended. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir about 1 cup hot filling into the egg yolks; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in vanilla. Pour into pastry shell.
- 2. For meringue, beat egg whites and cream of tartar in a small bowl on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, about 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Spread evenly over hot filling, sealing edges to crust.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until meringue is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 slice: 487 calories, 20g fat (10g saturated fat), 116mg cholesterol, 330mg sodium, 73g carbohydrate (56g sugars, 0 fiber), 6g protein.
Reviews for Butterscotch Pie
"I used dark brown sugar and cashew milk and turned out delicious!!!"
"A lady at work made this and i loved it so i got the recipe from her, which is this one. The first time my mom and i made this, it tasted too floury. I asked the lady at work and she said she used Eagle Brand milk instead of whole or 2%. So we made it again, and it tasted wonderful....but you could easily use it for caulking, it was so thick. Does anyone know what we screwed up on again? At least the taste was better the 2nd time, it would just seal your mouth shut."
"I know what missy40 did wrong she didn't cook the butter and flour mix (rue) long enough that is the key part of this recipe"
"Excellent! Made exactly as written. This is my 4th time making this recipe as it is always a favorite. Turns out perfect every time! Not sure what Missy did in her 2012 post ... Maybe to much flour? Lol. Great. Recipe"
"I have made this several times and EVERYBODY LOVES IT! Tip: we all prefer light brown sugar over the dark brown, much better flavor, in me and my friends/family's opinion. Thanks for the GREAT RECIPE!!"
"This is a keeper. Best butterscotch pie I've ever made."
"I made this with an oatmeal pecan crust, and it was outstanding!"
"I have made this pie a few times, and it is delicious. Most times I use dark brown sugar, as I like the flavour better, but it is also amazing with golden brown sugar."
"Very simple to make, which is a plus. And boy was it good!!! :) :D It reminds me of my granny's pie...oh the memories... *sigh*"
"clear instructions, love that. really creamy and tasted very good. easy to make. will keep in my receipe box for sure."
"Good instructions, was easy to make. tasted really creamy!!!! would do it again!"
"excelent flavor and texture easiest pie i've ever made...."
"This is definitely a keeper. easy to follow recipe and turned out perfect! A real winner! Thank you for posting!"
"A little too rich for me, but definitely a sugary treat. I would refrigerate more than 3 hours, as I dug into it at the 3 hour make and it quite had solidified yet. Good stuff."
"That's pretty much the same recipe that I've been using for almost 60 years. It is so good and so rich!"