- 6 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs yolks, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- In a saucepan, melt the butter. Remove from the heat; add flour and stir until smooth. Stir in brown sugar. Return to heat; gradually add milk and salt, stirring constantly. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes more. Remove from the heat. Stir about 1 cup into the egg yolks; return all to saucepan. Bring to a gentle boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and add vanilla. Pour into pie shell. Immediately make the meringue: In a small bowl, beat egg whites with cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, about 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff and glossy. Spread evenly over filling, sealing meringue to crust. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until golden. Cool on a wire rack. Store, covered, in the refrigerator. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews forButterscotch Pie
"I used dark brown sugar and cashew milk and turned out delicious!!!"
"A lady at work made this and i loved it so i got the recipe from her, which is this one. The first time my mom and i made this, it tasted too floury. I asked the lady at work and she said she used Eagle Brand milk instead of whole or 2%. So we made it again, and it tasted wonderful....but you could easily use it for caulking, it was so thick. Does anyone know what we screwed up on again? At least the taste was better the 2nd time, it would just seal your mouth shut."
"I know what missy40 did wrong she didn't cook the butter and flour mix (rue) long enough that is the key part of this recipe"
"Excellent! Made exactly as written. This is my 4th time making this recipe as it is always a favorite. Turns out perfect every time! Not sure what Missy did in her 2012 post ... Maybe to much flour? Lol. Great. Recipe"
"I have made this several times and EVERYBODY LOVES IT! Tip: we all prefer light brown sugar over the dark brown, much better flavor, in me and my friends/family's opinion. Thanks for the GREAT RECIPE!!"
"This is a keeper. Best butterscotch pie I've ever made."
"I made this with an oatmeal pecan crust, and it was outstanding!"