Butterscotch Cookies Recipe
“This old-fashioned recipe has been in my family for years,” writes Beverly Duncan of Big Prairie, Ohio. “It’s also delicious with miniature chocolate chips or coconut in place of the toffee bits.”
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch YIELD:20 servings
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup English toffee bits or almond brickle chips
- 1/4 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter, shortening and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in toffee bits and pecans. Shape into a 10-in. roll; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 4 hours or until firm.
- 2. Preheat oven to 375°. Unwrap dough and cut into 1/2-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Bake 9-11 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool 1-2 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: about 1-1/2 dozen.
1 cookie equals 111 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 14 mg cholesterol, 96 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC