Butternut Squash Custard Recipe
- 1 medium butternut squash (2 to 3 pounds), peeled, seeded and cubed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1. Place squash in a large saucepan and cover with water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- 2. In a large bowl, mash the squash with flour and sugar until blended; beat in the milk, eggs and butter. Pour into an ungreased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining ingredients.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 55-65 minutes or until center appears set. Yield: 8 servings.
3/4 cup: 202 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 91mg cholesterol, 118mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 3g fiber), 6g protein
Reviews for Butternut Squash Custard
"We didn't know we were going to LOVE this custard! Yummy, just the right amount of spice, not overwhelming. Delightful. Even the non-squash loving teenager in our house devoured it. I used a hand held blender to cream/mash the mixture to remove squash lumps. Since I was uncertain of it's 'doneness' baked a little over 65 minutes. Perfect!"