Butternut Squash Custard
My husband first tried this comforting casserole more than 10 years ago when he was still my fiance. Having enjoyed it so much, he said I needed to offer it at every Thanksgiving dinner. I was happy to oblige!—Maura Calusdian, Londonderry, New Hampshire
8 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Bake: 55 min.
- 1 medium butternut squash (2 to 3 pounds), peeled, seeded and cubed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Place squash in a large saucepan and cover with water; bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until
- tender. Drain.
- In a large bowl, mash the squash with flour and sugar until blended;
- beat in the milk, eggs and butter. Pour into an ungreased 2-1/2-qt.
- baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining ingredients.
- Bake at 350° for 55-65 minutes or until center appears set.
- Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 3/4 cup equals 202 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 91 mg cholesterol, 118 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 6 g protein.