- 1 medium butternut squash (2 to 3 pounds), peeled, seeded and cubed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Place squash in a large saucepan and cover with water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- In a large bowl, mash the squash with flour and sugar until blended; beat in the milk, eggs and butter. Pour into an ungreased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining ingredients.
- Bake at 350° for 55-65 minutes or until center appears set. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forButternut Squash Custard
"We didn't know we were going to LOVE this custard! Yummy, just the right amount of spice, not overwhelming. Delightful. Even the non-squash loving teenager in our house devoured it. I used a hand held blender to cream/mash the mixture to remove squash lumps. Since I was uncertain of it's 'doneness' baked a little over 65 minutes. Perfect!"