This pie is often made by the Amish and Mennonite cooks in our area. OUr baker, May Hath, gave us this recipe. We've served it for years.Maxine Zook, Middlebury, Indiana
12-16 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk, divided
- 5 Eggland's Best Eggs
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 unbaked pastry shells (9 inches each)
- 1 cup chopped pecans, optional
- In a bowl, combine the sugar, flour and 3/4 cup buttermilk. Add eggs
- and remaining buttermilk; mix well. Stir in the butter and vanilla.
- Divide evenly among pie shells. Top with pecans if desired.
- Bake at 425° for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 25-30
- minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out
- clean. Cool completely. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 12-16
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 360 calories, 14 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 88 mg cholesterol, 202 mg sodium, 54 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 4 g protein.