Buttermilk Pie Recipe
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk, divided
- 5 eggs
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 unbaked pastry shells (9 inches each)
- 1 cup chopped pecans, optional
- 1. In a bowl, combine the sugar, flour and 3/4 cup buttermilk. Add eggs and remaining buttermilk; mix well. Stir in the butter and vanilla. Divide evenly among pie shells. Top with pecans if desired.
- 2. Bake at 425° for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 25-30 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool completely. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 12-16 servings.
1 slice: 360 calories, 14g fat (7g saturated fat), 88mg cholesterol, 202mg sodium, 54g carbohydrate (39g sugars, 0g fiber), 4g protein .
Reviews for Buttermilk Pie
"I adjusted this recipe by using 1/2 the sugar: 3/4 cup EACH packed brown and 3/4 cup white sugar. I DID use 6 Tbsp. all-purpose flour,3 eggs, 1/4 cup EACH butter/margarine, melted, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1 tsp. EACH almond extract and vanilla extract, 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans, 3/4 cup each semi-sweet chocolate chunks and sweetened flaked coconut, 1/8 cup all-purpose flour which I mixed with the coconut, chocolate chunks and pecans and about 3/4 cup finely chopped square small Snickers peanut butter bars. I soured a can (12-oz.) of evaporated milk with 1 Tbsp. 1/2 Tbsp. cider vinegar. I was able to fill the 2 pie shells with the beaten egg/milk/sugar mixture, then added the melted butter/margarine and extracts to the batter. I folded in the coconut/chocolate chunk/pecan/candy bar mixture with the 1/8 cup all-purpose flour. I placed filled pie shells on a large foil-covered baking sheet to catch drips. I baked 10 minutes on 425o F. oven tempt., reduced heat and baked 40 to 45 minutes at 350o F. or until a sharp paring knife OR table knife comes out clean.These pies looked lovely and baked up nicely! This is my buttermilk challenge for Cook's Corner! delowenstein"
"This was very good. I halved the recipe and only made 1 pie"
"This is the second time I made this pie. I cut the sugar down to 2 cups and the pies are plenty sweet. Other than reducing the sugar, make the pies as directed and they will come out perfect. I used the "Never-Fail Pie Crust" recipe with this and everything worked great."
"this pie is awesome!!!"
"I make this pie for catering jobs...everyone loves it! and it is so simple to make"
"totally delicious...a keeper for sure :)"
"Very easy to make! My family loved it!"