Buttermilk Pie Recipe
This pie is often made by the Amish and Mennonite cooks in our area. OUr baker, May Hath, gave us this recipe. We've served it for years.—Maxine Zook, Middlebury, Indiana
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk, divided
- 5 eggs
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 unbaked pastry shells (9 inches each)
- 1 cup chopped pecans, optional
- 1. In a bowl, combine the sugar, flour and 3/4 cup buttermilk. Add eggs and remaining buttermilk; mix well. Stir in the butter and vanilla. Divide evenly among pie shells. Top with pecans if desired.
- 2. Bake at 425° for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 25-30 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool completely. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 12-16 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 360 calories, 14 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 88 mg cholesterol, 202 mg sodium, 54 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 4 g protein.
Reviews for Buttermilk Pie
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC