Busy Day Beef Stew
Here's a classic old-fashioned beef stew that simmers for hours in the slow cooker. I call it my "lazy" stew because it's so easy to make on busy days. Perfect for hearty appetites, it's guaranteed to keep folks coming back for more!
8-10 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 10 hours
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (1 to 1-1/2 pounds)
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 2 teaspoons browning sauce, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 6 cups water
- 2 cups cubed peeled potatoes (1/2-inch pieces)
- 6 to 8 medium carrots, cut into chunks
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed, optional
- 5 tablespoons cornstarch
- 6 tablespoons cold water
- Place roast in a 5-qt. slow cooker; sprinkle with soup mix, browning
- sauce if desired, salt and pepper. Pour water over meat. Cover and
- cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove roast to a cutting board; let stand for 5 minutes. Add
- vegetables to slow cooker. Cube beef and return to slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 1-1/2 hours or until vegetables are
- Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir into stew. Cover
- and cook on high for 30-45 minutes or until thickened. Yield: 8-10