- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (1 to 1-1/2 pounds)
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 2 teaspoons browning sauce, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 6 cups water
- 2 cups cubed peeled potatoes (1/2-inch pieces)
- 6 to 8 medium carrots, cut into chunks
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed, optional
- 5 tablespoons cornstarch
- 6 tablespoons cold water
- Place roast in a slow cooker; sprinkle with soup mix, browning sauce if desired, salt and pepper. Pour water over meat. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Remove roast to a cutting board; let stand for 5 minutes. Add vegetables to slow cooker. Cube beef and return to slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 1-1/2 hours or until vegetables are tender. Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir into stew. Cover and cook on high for 30-45 minutes or until thickened. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Reviews forBusy Day Beef Stew
"I have to agree with the previous post. Frankly, I wonder how this recipe became a contest winner. I have many other better stew recipes. I hate to pan other people's recipes, but there it is. May using apple cider instead of so much water would help - apple and onion are a great combo of flavors."
"I found this stew to be rather bland, with too much broth, even when thickened."
"I was wondering if this has a onion flavor to this stew with adding the onion soup mix?"