Brown Rice Pudding Recipe
Brown rice gives this creamy pudding a deep, nutty flavor, while lemon and mango make it subtly sweet and refreshing. It’s a healthy snack or dessert any time of the year.—Lorie Miner, Kamas, Utah
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
- 3 teaspoons grated lemon peel, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Optional toppings: fresh mango, ground cinnamon and flaked coconut
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the water, rice, 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon peel and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-45 minutes or until tender.
- 2. Stir in milk and brown sugar. Cook, uncovered, for 40-50 minutes or until desired consistency, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla and remaining lemon peel. Chill if desired.
- 3. Spoon into dessert dishes. Add toppings as desired. Yield: 4 servings.
1/2 cup (calculated without optional toppings) equals 235 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 14 mg cholesterol, 250 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 8 g protein.
Reviews for Brown Rice Pudding
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC