Brown Rice Pudding Recipe
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
- 3 teaspoons grated lemon peel, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Optional toppings: fresh mango, ground cinnamon and flaked coconut
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the water, rice, 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon peel and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-45 minutes or until tender.
- 2. Stir in milk and brown sugar. Cook, uncovered, for 40-50 minutes or until desired consistency, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla and remaining lemon peel. Chill if desired.
- 3. Spoon into dessert dishes. Add toppings as desired. Yield: 4 servings.
1/2 cup (calculated without optional toppings): 235 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 250mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 1g fiber), 8g protein .
Reviews for Brown Rice Pudding
"A different spin on rice pudding. Rather odd, but enjoyable!"