Brown Rice Pudding Recipe
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
- 3 teaspoons grated lemon peel, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Optional toppings: fresh mango, ground cinnamon and unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the water, rice, 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon peel and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-45 minutes or until tender.
- 2. Stir in milk and brown sugar. Cook, uncovered, for 40-50 minutes or until desired consistency, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla and remaining lemon peel. Chill if desired.
- 3. Spoon into dessert dishes. Add toppings as desired. Yield: 4 servings.
1/2 cup (calculated without optional toppings): 235 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 250mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 1g fiber), 8g protein.
Reviews for Brown Rice Pudding
"A different spin on rice pudding. Rather odd, but enjoyable!"