Brown rice gives this creamy pudding a deep, nutty flavor, while lemon and mango make it subtly sweet and refreshing. It’s a healthy snack or dessert any time of the year.—Lorie Miner, Kamas, Utah
Recommended: 39 Amazing Ways to Love Whole Grains
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
- 3 teaspoons grated lemon peel, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Optional toppings: fresh mango, ground cinnamon and unsweetened coconut flakes
- In a large saucepan, combine the water, rice, 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon peel and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-45 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in milk and brown sugar. Cook, uncovered, for 40-50 minutes or until desired consistency, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla and remaining lemon peel. Chill if desired.
- Spoon into dessert dishes. Add toppings as desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Brown Rice Pudding in Country Woman April/May 2010, p46
Reviews forBrown Rice Pudding
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 14, 2010
"A different spin on rice pudding. Rather odd, but enjoyable!"