Broccoli with Garlic, Bacon & Parmesan
This simple yet sophisticated side dish uses just a few basic ingredients. The way the bold garlic flavor blends with the smoky bacon makes ordinary broccoli irresistible. —Erin Chilcoat, Smithtown, New York
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 bunches broccoli (about 3 pounds), stems removed, cut into florets
- 6 thick-sliced bacon strips, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 to 8 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Fill a 6-qt. stockpot two-thirds full with water; add salt and bring
- to a boil. In batches, add broccoli and cook 2-3 minutes or until
- broccoli turns bright green; remove with a slotted spoon.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring
- occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels.
- Discard drippings, reserving 1 tablespoon in pan.
- Add oil to drippings; heat over medium heat. Add garlic and pepper
- flakes; cook and stir over medium heat 2-3 minutes or until garlic
- is tender (do not allow to brown). Add broccoli; cook until broccoli
- is tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in bacon; sprinkle with
- cheese. Yield: 8 servings.