Best Shepherd's Pie Recipe
This economical dish comes from a friend who was a whiz at pinching pennies without sacrificing hearty flavor.—Valerie Merrill, Topeka, Kansas
- 2-1/2 pounds potatoes, peeled and cooked
- 1 to 1-1/2 cups (8 to 12 ounces) sour cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 can (16 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Chopped fresh parsley, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, mash potatoes with sour cream. Add salt and pepper; set aside. In a large skillet, cook beef with onion and red pepper until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain. Stir garlic salt into meat mixture. Stir in the soup, corn and milk.
- 2. Spread meat mixture into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top with mashed potatoes; drizzle with butter.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until heated through. For additional browning, place under broiler for a few minutes. Sprinkle with parsley if desired. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 378 calories, 17 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 69 mg cholesterol, 626 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 21 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC