- 2-1/2 pounds potatoes, peeled and cooked
- 1 to 1-1/2 cups (8 to 12 ounces) sour cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 can (16 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Chopped fresh parsley, optional
- In a large bowl, mash potatoes with sour cream. Add salt and pepper; set aside. In a large skillet, cook beef with onion and red pepper until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain. Stir garlic salt into meat mixture. Stir in the soup, corn and milk.
- Spread meat mixture into a 13x9-in. baking dish. Top with mashed potatoes; drizzle with butter.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until heated through. For additional browning, place under broiler for a few minutes. Sprinkle with parsley if desired. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Reviews forBest Shepherd's Pie
"This was very good! I used a green bell pepper, since that's what I had on hand and used fresh minced garlic instead of garlic salt. I also added some frozen peas and carrots along with the corn, and sprinkled sharp grated cheddar on top of the potatoes. Used kosher salt to taste. This a dish I will definitely make again!Volunteer Field Editor"
"Absolutely delicious comfort food on a cold winters night. Followed recipe exact but cut recipe in half as only two of us. Leftovers were just as good, if not better. Definitely a keeper! Thank you Valerie"
"I would recommend using less milk so that it does not become so soupy. The milk did not help thicken the soup. I even added additional vegetables like peas and carrots."
"Loved it and so did my familyThank you for this recipe"
"Great recipe! I made this for a small group study at church and it was almost gone before we knew it! They all loved it and went back for seconds and even thirds. I did tweak it a bit. I didn't have onions on hand so I substituted about a 1/2 teaspoon of onion powder and mixed that into the chopped meat. I omitted the red pepper and the can of corn and used a can of mixed vegetables instead. However, the recipe says this feeds 8-10. I would say that one batch would probably feed more like 4 people. I had to double it and I'm glad I did. I will definitely make this again!"
"It wasn't terrible, It just TERRIBLY lacked flavor. It was very bland. Like eating unflavored ground beef with unflavored mashed potatoes and unflavored vegetables. I even added fresh garlic and mushrooms, but it helped nothing. I will not make this again. Waste of money for the ingredients. We wasted half the 9X13" pie."
"This is a really good recipe. Made it for friends that came for dinner & they loved it. Will be making this again"
"We love the heck out of this recipe! It comes together quick, makes plenty for leftovers, & tastes AMAZING! We even add a bit of cheese on top for extra yummy-ness. This is a regular in our household."