Best-Ever Fried Chicken
There is no need for a special occasion to prepare this chicken recipe, because it makes every occasion special! When I was growing up, my parents had a farm, and every year, Dad would hire teenage boys to help by haying time. They looked forward to coming because they knew they would be treated to Mom's delicious fried chicken. —Lola Clifton, Vinton, Virginia
4 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- In a shallow bowl, mix the first five ingredients. In a separate
- shallow bowl, whisk the milk, egg and lemon juice. Coat chicken
- pieces, one at a time, with flour mixture; dip in milk mixture, then
- coat again with flour mixture.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry
- chicken, a few pieces at a time, for 6-10 minutes on each side or
- until chicken juices run clear. Drain on paper towels. Yield: 4
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving equals 811 calories, 57 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 176 mg cholesterol, 725 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 47 g protein.