Best-Ever Fried Chicken Recipe
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 1. In a shallow bowl, mix the first six ingredients. In a separate shallow bowl, whisk egg, milk and lemon juice until blended. Dip chicken in flour mixture to coat all sides; shake off excess. Dip in egg mixture, then again in flour mixture.
- 2. In an electric skillet or deep fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry chicken, a few pieces at a time, 6-10 minutes on each side or until golden brown and chicken juices run clear. Drain on paper towels. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving equals 811 calories, 57 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 176 mg cholesterol, 725 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 47 g protein.
Reviews for Best-Ever Fried Chicken
"We thought this was delicious. I always add a bit more of the spices as called for so we find a lack of flavor at all. I had to use gluten free all purpose flour to coat the chicken in and it was still quite delicious!"
"It was the worst I have tasted,I had to cover it with bbq sauce. May it needs more seasoning."
"Loved this; however, I think the coating needs more seasoning. I added red pepper, and next time I will use Emeril's Essence. First time making fried chicken and it was awesome!"
"This is the recipe that I have found after years of trying to be the best and most reliable. I substitute Accent for the salt. From time to time I will use Dixie Fry Chicken Seasoning mix instead of flour. Either way, Lola nailed it."
"Excellent! Next time I will try adding more spices."
"Excellent! Added a few more spices as Thyme, rosemary, garlic."
"Simple & very good!"
"Loved this recipe! I soaked my chicken pieces in whole buttermilk overnight, and then proceeded with the recipe for the dipping order before frying them. So juicy!"
"added garlic & onion powder and lemon-pepper seasoning 1/2 tsp. ea.very good."
"Best ever! Make often! Super moist!"
"Rhe best recipe I've tried = my family loves it and wants it often. Thank you."
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.