Best Coconut Pecan Cookies
With this recipe from Betty Matthews, baking Christmas sweets has never been easier. "I gave cookies to friends every year, and these are a favorite," writes the South Haven, Michigan baker. Freeze the dough in logs, then slice and bake the crisp buttery cookies when you need them.
54 ServingsPrep: 30 min. + freezing Bake: 20 min./batch + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups flaked coconut, divided
- Pecan halves
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat
- in egg. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed
- mixture and mix well. Stir in 2 cups coconut. Shape into six
- 2-in.-diameter logs. Roll in remaining coconut. Wrap in plastic
- wrap. Freeze for up to 3 months.
- Unwrap dough; cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 3 in. apart on ungreased
- baking sheets. Place a pecan half in the center of each. Bake at
- 325° for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool for 2-3
- minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely. Yield:
- 4-1/2 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cookie equals 100 calories, 6 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 83 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein.