Beet Cake Recipe
I found this recipe handwritten in my grandmother's well-worn cookbook. I've made it many times, and my four grandchildren love it (they think it's just a moist chocolate cake). It's especially appropriate for this contest because our state is known as the beet-growing capital.
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup butter, softened, divided
- 1-1/2 cups packed dark brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups pureed cooked beets
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Confectioners' sugar
- 1. In a microwave, melt chocolate and 1/4 cup butter; stir until smooth. Cool slightly. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, cream the remaining butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine the chocolate mixture, beets and vanilla.
- 3. Beat into creamed mixture (mixture will appear separated). Combine flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture.
- 4. Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 375° for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Before serving, dust with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 16-20 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 211 calories, 10 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 56 mg cholesterol, 294 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC