- 1 cup butter or margarine, softened, divided
- 1-1/2 cups packed dark brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 4 squares (1 ounce each) semisweet chocolate
- 2 cups pureed cooked beets
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a mixing bowl, cream 3/4 cup butter and brown sugar. Add eggs; mix well. Melt chocolate with remaining butter; stir until smooth. Cool slightly. Blend chocolate mixture, beets and vanilla into the creamed mixture (mixture will appear separated). Combine flour, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 375° for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack. Cool completely. Before serving, dust with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 16-20 servings.
Reviews forBeet Cake
"I added orange zest into it and it tasted great! Very moist and yummy. No one noticed the beets"
"Surprisingly good, fluffy and moist. There is a faint beet taste, which I wasn't expecting. I was thinking it was more like desserts that use zucchini which adds moisture but not the vegetable flavor. It served it's purpose to get rid of extra beets I had."
"Great way to use extra beets! Delicious, moist cake, not too much beet flavor while eating, but there is a beet aftertaste."
"I'm curious if canned/jarred beets would work just as well??"
"Even my kids happily eat beets when prepared this way! Very moist and delicious."
"I'm curious as to why there are strawberries, not beets, in the picture? :)"