Beans 'n' Caramelized Onions
Bacon, brown sugar and cider vinegar seasons this side dish. I often serve this dish to guests, and it never fails to please.—Jill Heatwole, Pittsville, Maryland
9 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 1 hour
- 4 bacon strips
- 2 large onions, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 2 pounds fresh green beans, trimmed
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove
- to paper towels. Drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. Crumble
- bacon and set aside. Cook onions in drippings over medium-low heat
- until tender and golden brown, about 50 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the beans in a large saucepan and cover with water;
- bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until
- crisp-tender; drain. Stir the vinegar and brown sugar into onions;
- add beans. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat for 1 minute. Add
- bacon; toss gently. Season with salt and pepper. Yield: 9 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup equals 106 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 7 mg cholesterol, 146 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 3 g protein.