Bean, Chicken and Sausage Soup Recipe
I found this recipe in a magazine and have tried different ingredients through the years. My husband thinks this is the best version yet. I hope you enjoy it, too!
- 1-1/2 pounds bulk Italian sausage
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 6 bacon strips, diced
- 2 quarts water
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon each dried thyme, savory and salt
- 1/2 teaspoon each dried basil, oregano and pepper
- 4 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 2 cans (15 to 16 ounces each) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1. In a heavy 8-qt. Dutch oven, cook the sausage, onion and bacon over medium-high heat until sausage is not longer pink; drain. Add the water, tomatoes and seasonings. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- 2. Add chicken and beans. Simmer, uncovered, for 30-45 minutes. Discard bay leaves. Yield: 18 servings (4-1/2 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 196 calories, 12 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 48 mg cholesterol, 488 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 15 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC