- 1-1/2 pounds Johnsonville® Ground Mild Italian sausage
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 6 bacon strips, diced
- 2 quarts water
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon each dried thyme, savory and salt
- 1/2 teaspoon each dried basil, oregano and pepper
- 4 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 2 cans (15 to 16 ounces each) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- In a heavy 8-qt. Dutch oven, cook the sausage, onion and bacon over medium-high heat until sausage is not longer pink; drain. Add the water, tomatoes and seasonings. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add chicken and beans. Simmer, uncovered, for 30-45 minutes. Discard bay leaves. Yield: 18 servings (4-1/2 quarts).
Reviews forBean, Chicken and Sausage Soup
"I'm a first time subscriber. This fairly simple recipe appealed to me, but I already knew I wanted shrimp in whatever recipe I chose. Since I enjoy a hearty soup, I added an extra can of northern beans, 5 oz. of fresh washed spinach and a pound of large cooked shrimp. I added the shrimp during the last couple minutes as they are already cooked. We thought the chicken was a bit mushy and bland. In the future, I'd lightly brown the chicken in 2 tbs olive oil, fresh garlic and herbs. I would also lightly brown the sausage. My wife and I agreed that fewer than 3 cans of northern beans would be insufficient. There was still an ample amount of broth in our bowls. We both agreed that the broth was very delicious."
"easy and both husband and 3 yr old loved it"
"Followed recipe 1st time and found it to be very good, but a tiny bit too garlicy. Next time used half as much garlic and a few drops of Tabasco, and replaced the chicken with frozen shrimp. Now, that's good! Even my picky granddaughter loved it."
"Savory is a seasoning McCormick sales it when you dont know what it is you can aways google it."
"What is Savory? I would like to make this soup but I don't know what savory is."