Baked Chicken with Pasta Sauce
This easy Italian specialty makes a family-pleasing main course. Shared by Gert Kaiser of Kenosha, Wisconsin, it features delicious seasoned chicken breast halves in a flavorful pasta sauce and comes together in minutes.
4 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1 egg
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 1 jar (26 ounces) garden-style pasta sauce
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Hot cooked pasta, optional
- In a shallow bowl, beat the egg. Place the bread crumbs in another
- shallow bowl. Dip chicken in egg, then coat with crumbs. Place in a
- 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 20-22 minutes or until a meat
- thermometer reads 170° Pour pasta sauce over chicken. Sprinkle
- with cheese.
- Bake 12-14 minutes longer or until sauce is bubbly and cheese is
- melted. Serve with pasta if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (prepared with egg substitute and part-skim mozzarella cheese; calculated without pasta) equals 499 calories, 14 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 117 mg cholesterol, 1,369 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 49 g protein.
Wine: Medium-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.