Baked Beans with Pineapple
This recipe is a staple at our neighborhood's annual barbecue.—J Hindson, Victoria, British Columbia
25-30 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 1 pound bacon strips, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cans (two 55 ounces, one 28 ounces) baked beans
- 2 cans (one 20 ounces, one 8 ounces) crushed pineapple, drained
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove
- with a slotted spoon to paper towels. Drain, reserving 2 tablespoons
- drippings. Saute onion in drippings until tender.
- In a very large bowl, combine the beans, pineapple, bacon and onion.
- Combine brown sugar and ketchup; stir into the bean mixture.
- Transfer to two greased 3-qt. or 13-in. x 9-in. baking dishes. Cover
- and bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Uncover; bake 25-35 minutes
- longer or until bubbly and beans reach desired thickness. Yield:
- 25-30 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 266 calories, 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 22 mg cholesterol, 830 mg sodium, 37 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 12 g protein.