Bacon-Colby Lasagna Recipe
- 24 uncooked lasagna noodles
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1-1/2 pounds bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 cups (2 pounds) shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Cook noodles according to package directions for al dente; drain.
- 2. In a 6-qt. stockpot, cook beef and onions over medium-high heat 10-12 minutes or until beef is no longer pink, breaking up beef into crumbles; drain. Stir in bacon, tomato sauce, tomatoes, sugar and salt; heat through.
- 3. Spread 1 cup sauce into each of two greased 13x9-in. baking dishes. Layer each with four noodles, 1-2/3 cups sauce and 1-1/3 cups cheese. Repeat layers twice.
- 4. Bake, covered, 40 minutes. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until bubbly. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.
- 5. Freeze option: Cool unbaked casseroles; cover and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake casseroles as directed, increasing time as necessary to heat through and for a thermometer inserted in center to read 165°. Yield: 2 casseroles (12 servings each).
1 piece equals 357 calories, 18 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 67 mg cholesterol, 744 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 23 g protein.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.