With both bacon and ground beef, this hearty dish is a real crowd-pleaser. The recipe came from my grandmother, now in her 80s. I've learned so much from helping her in the kitchen. Cathy McCartney, Davenport, Iowa
24 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min. + standing
- 2 pounds ground turkey or beef
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 pounds sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 24 lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
- 8 cups (32 ounces) shredded Colby cheese
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef and onions over medium heat until meat is
- no longer pink; drain. Stir in the bacon, tomato sauce, tomatoes,
- sugar and salt; cook until heated through.
- Spread 1 cup meat sauce in each of two greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking
- dishes. Layer with four noodles, 1-2/3 cups meat sauce, 1-1/3 cups
- cheese in each dish. Repeat layers twice.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 40 minutes. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes
- longer or until bubbly. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting.
- Yield: 2 casseroles (12 servings each).
Wine: Full-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.