Bacon-Colby Lasagna Recipe
With both bacon and ground beef, this hearty dish is a real crowd-pleaser. The recipe came from my grandmother, now in her 80s. I've learned so much from helping her in the kitchen. —Cathy McCartney, Davenport, Iowa
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 45 min. + standing YIELD:24 servings
- 24 uncooked lasagna noodles
- 2 pounds ground turkey or beef
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 pounds sliced bacon, chopped
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 cups (32 ounces) shredded Colby cheese
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Cook noodles according to package directions for al dente; drain. Meanwhile, in a 6-qt. stockpot, cook beef and onions over medium heat 10-12 minutes or until beef is no longer pink, breaking up beef into crumbles; drain and set aside.
- 2. In same pot, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally; drain. Stir in tomato sauce, tomatoes, sugar, salt and reserved beef mixture; heat through.
- 3. Spread 1 cup meat sauce in each of two greased 13x9-in. baking dishes. Layer each with four noodles, 1-2/3 cups meat sauce and 1-1/3 cups cheese. Repeat layers twice.
- 4. Bake, covered, 40 minutes. Bake, uncovered, 5-10 minutes longer or until bubbly. Let stand 15 minutes before serving. Yield: 2 casseroles (12 servings each).
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC